Thursday, April 20, 2017

grocery bags


One of my go to projects when I feel creatively stuck and completely uninspired is making grocery bags. I know, super glamorous, right? :)  I use Grocery Bag pattern by Michelle Patterns as these bags are quick and easy to make, and I get to play with pretty fabric without thinking too much.

Lately I've had quite a few of those "stuck" days with mile long list of things I needed to do but no desire to tackle any one of them. So I raided my stash and decided it was time for yet another grocery bag making session.

Denyse Schmidt + Cotton and Steel

Charlie Harper

Curiosities by Jeni Baker

As you can see I like to work in batches when making these bags, so I went ahead and made three bags in one go. I really love the unique but super effective construction Michelle came up with as it makes for very practical and durable grocery bags.


 The handles are a bit fiddly to make, but definitely worth a bit extra effort. You can see in the photo above how I make them. Instead of cutting all four handles out, I just cut one pair of handles, pin them to second fabric, stitch and then cut the handles out. I find this to be a quicker and more precise way to make my handles.

I love how these bags turned out and now I'm ready to tackle my to do list head on :)

How about you? What do you do when you get stuck? 

Wishing you all a happy and creative day. Svetlana


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that I have this pattern! Lovely bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carry one of these daily to work. such easy bags to make. I mainly us the large size and my daughter will often grab a medium size to throw a few things in when we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabrics you chose. Do you line them with regular quilting cottons or something sturdier?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauties! I've used the youtube tutorial by man sewing to make something very similar! Thanks as always for your lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome and I love your fabrics! I just went and bought the pattern!! Maybe I'll make one tonight!!!! Thanks for the handle too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good idea about the handles!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of sewing the first handle side to the next and stitching. Curves have been a difficulty for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are adorable! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I am in a rut, I don't sew anything. Not a good system. I guess I knit more when that happens. What size bag do you make?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your bags and fabric choices. Thanks for the tip about the handles. I have had this pattern for years and have been meaning to sew one up for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make these bags often - and I love the tip on the handles, I had not thought of that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...